Candidate Computer Systems Developer/Engineer Vacancy at CSIR
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Candidate Computer Systems Developer/Engineer in the Transport Systems and Operations Impact Area within the Smart Mobility cluster. The role will primarily involve software development, web development, and data analysis in support of transport research including heavy vehicle safety, operations, monitoring, and infrastructure impact. The role will include analysing and modifying existing software, which are currently coded on visual basic 6. The focus will be on the development and deployment of decision support tools and dashboards and support to users. This position is based in Pretoria.
For more information about the impact area and cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/smart-mobility.
- Analyse and modify existing software into currently technologies;
- Full-stack maintenance of existing online data portals;
- Develop web-based dashboards and collaboration platforms to support government and industry in the transport and logistics sectors;
- Visualise and disseminate vehicle monitoring data, including telematics;
- Translate and deploy desktop simulation tools to web-based platforms;
- Liaise with ICT staff for the provision of servers, hosting and access management;
- Conduct data analysis and visualisation on transport-related data;
- Support related research activities on software development and data analysis tasks;
- Lead and assist in applying machine learning techniques to existing and future datasets
- Create and maintain virtual and physical servers;
- Mobile app development;
- Disseminate research findings through conferences, journal papers; and
- Prepare client reports.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering or relevant field with at least two’ years’ experience in web development, deployment and maintenance;
- An Honour’s or master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- Knowledge of various programming languages will be advantageous, but knowledge of visual basic six (VB6) is a minimum requirement.
- Any of the following will be an added advantage:
- Experience in dashboard development and telematics visualization;
- Experience with database management such as SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL;
- An interest in and knowledge of the transport sector;
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Must have the ability to work accurately, efficiently and independently as well as in a team;
- Must be computer literate with advanced use of Microsoft Excel and other programming platforms;
- Ability to innovate and generate new knowledge;
- Must have good communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Ability to effectively present ideas, concepts, plan and procedures.
Closing date: 15 Decemeber 2022
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment01@csir.co.za. Please do-not send your applications to this mailbox, it is only for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.