Epic Owner in ShopriteX Company at Brackenfell – Cape Town
The Epic Owner is responsible for managing the scope and schedules of an epic through to delivery with an Agile-centric approach to prioritization and value delivery. The Epic Owner is further responsible for guiding individual epics from identification through to approval. After the epic is approved, the Epic Owner works with Agile Teams to initiate the development activities necessary to realize the epic’s business outcome hypothesis. After the initiation, the Epic Owner may have some ongoing responsibilities for stewardship and follow-up. As the features and capabilities that define the epics are incorporated into the Solution, the Epic Owner returns to other duties or takes responsibility for other emerging epics. Typically, an Epic Owner works with one (1) to four (4) epics at a time (based on the scope/size of the epic) that falls within their area of expertise and current business mission.
- Primary responsibility for introducing the merits of the epic – added value.
- Work with stakeholders and subject matter experts to define an epic.
- Formulates and elaborates on the epic and analyses its cost and impact by collaborating closely with other groups in the portfolio.
- Define, prioritise and deliver the epic as per the core benefits and outcomes and create a Lean business case and present for approval.
- Participate in Program Increment (PI) Planning, System Demo, and Solution Demo, whenever there is critical activity related to the epic.
- Establish the epic delivery plan during Program Increment (PI) Planning.
- Collaborate with Product and Solution Management and System and Solution Architects/ Engineering to decompose the epic into features and capabilities and help prioritize these backlog items in their respective program and solution backlogs.
- Work with Agile Teams that perform research spikes, create proofs of concept, mock-ups, etc.
- Coordinate and synchronise epic-related activities across delivery teams and business units.
- Communicate with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk and drive relentless improvement.
- Proactively manage dependencies, overcome obstacles and help teams deliver effectively.
- Highlight bottlenecks and provide solutions for addressing critical path issues.
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders to help fill in the solution gaps that often occur.
- Encourage collaboration between teams.
- Work collaboratively with Product and Solution Management and System and Solution Architects/ Engineering to split the epic into features and capabilities.
- Accountable for delivering the epic.
- Assist in tracking the execution of features and capabilities.
- Provide input into the refinement of the Program Backlog.
- Understand and report on the progress of the epics to relevant stakeholders.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree in business sciences, information, or technology field – (essential).
- Certified Agile and/or SAFe practitioner – (essential).
- Certified Project Management qualification – (preferred).
- +3 years experience in an Ecommerce, start-up or innovation lead environment with a proven record of accomplishment in an epic and/or agile delivery approach – (essential).
- Experience in business analysis or related technical field with exposure to the deployment of formal business analysis methods and tools (application development, technical product owner, deployment/implementation, and infrastructure) – (preferred).
- Experience dealing with stakeholders during the development life cycle – (essential).
- Familiarity with ITIL v2 or 3 – (preferred).
Key competencies and work ethic
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to systematically analyse information, and identify causal relationships and main themes. Readily comprehends new concepts and information. Investigates various courses of action to identify the most appropriate solution. Integrates multiple inputs with the aim of arriving at an optimal solution. Evaluates the impact of proposed solutions.
- Commercial knowledge/acumen– Understands key concepts and demonstrates skills in the competency. Understands the company procurement process and related processes for commercial transactions. Knows the requirements to maintain compliance to these policies and procedures. Has a basic understanding of commercial concepts such as terms and conditions of contracts, as well as cost, benefits and risk within commercial transactions.
- Collaboration partner with strong stakeholder engagement skills: Leverages the collective intelligence of the team; reaches sound negotiation results while maintaining collaborative relationships. Anticipates stakeholder needs and aligns stakeholders across business areas.
- Building a business case: Sound application of knowledge and skills in the competency. Able to conduct business analysis to address risks related to the particular business case. Has a sound understanding of the customer environment, needs and service delivery requirements. Able to match product and service offerings to suit customer qualification requirements. Understands and acceptance review support cases.
- Influencing skills: Communicates and aligns the vision and strategy across product and technology teams; effectively engages with stakeholders on the overarching product development process and PM mindset.
Leave a Reply