Professor/Associate Professor/Adjunct Professor (African Business) at the University of the Witwatersrand
Job Title Professor/Associate Professor/Adjunct Professor (African Business)
Organization Name School of Business Sciences
School of Business Sciences PROFESSOR OR ASSOCIATE/ADJUNCT PROFESSOR OF BUSINESS SCIENCES – 3-YEAR CONTRACT
The School of Business Sciences (SBS) is one of six schools in the Faculty of Commerce, Law and Management at the University of the Witwatersrand. The school offers an active research environment and unrivalled access to industry and international bodies, as a result of being located in the country’s industrial heartland. It delivers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Marketing, Information Systems, Human Resources Management and Management. For further information please visit our website at http://www.wits.ac.za/sbs/.
SBS is growing its programmes in entrepreneurship and African Business Sciences with a focus on sustainability, human capital and enterprise development, innovation and technology for global and Africa’s development. We seek one Professor or an Associate/Adjunct Professor with senior management experience. This position is fulltime and will be filled on an initial three-year contract basis, renewable based on performance and ability to raise funding
- Coordinate and support the delivery of online postgraduate programmes in African Business Sciences.
- Coordinate fundraising and undertake research into African Business Sciences, entrepreneurship, and enterprise development.
- Develop collaborations and networks with multinationals, embassies, and Africans in the diaspora.
- Participate in research, supervision and mentoring of Honours, Masters and doctoral students.
- Engage in post-graduate, short courses teaching and participate in academic programme developments.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A cognate PhD in any of the business sciences disciplines such as marketing, management, information systems, human resources management, insurance and risk management.
- 5+ years’ academic experience in a leadership position.
- For a full professor or associate professor, an extensive record of relevant high-impact academic publications in the areas of African Business Sciences,
- Entrepreneurship Innovation, Business Development or other relevant Business Sciences research areas.
- For the position of adjunct professor, at least 10 years’ experience in senior management or leadership positions is needed. Also needed is the ability to teach, supervise and undertake research in any of the Business Sciences disciplines.
- Demonstrable record or ability to raise project and research funding from national and international sources.
- A track record of heading and coordinating research, business or academic projects.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders, such as the informal sector, the industry, government, multinationals and embassies.
A good record of lecturing and postgraduate supervision in the higher education sector.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a covering letter, a detailed CV (with names, addresses and contact details of three contactable referees), a half page statement on fund raising and its proof, a one (1) page statement of teaching and research philosophy and certified copies of degrees/diplomas by registering your profile on the Wits i-Recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who have not been contacted within two (2) weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful. In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups, as defined in the Employment Equity Act, 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto. The University of the Witwatersrand reserves the right to verify all information provided by candidates. Preference may be given to appointable internal candidates. The University of the Witwatersrand reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.
Closing date: 31 January 2023