Candidate Researcher Vacancy: Bioprocessing At The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
Candidate Researcher: Bioprocessing
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Candidate Researcher the in the Bioprocessing Technologies research group within the Chemicals Cluster. The incumbent will be responsible to conduct research in a specialised field of biotechnology, bioprocessing and bio-manufacturing. S/He will also be responsible to plan, execute experiments and investigate the specified fields of research in line with the organisation’s strategic plan. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Conceptualise, guide and manage research and development (R&D) projects at the appropriate level;
- Provide strategic direction to R&D activities and formulate key research questions and appropriate R&D approaches;
- Develop and apply methodologies in the specialised field, producing technical briefs or reports, technology packages, operating or manufacturing protocols and research papers;
- Plan and conduct experiments in the field of bioprocessing or another related field, as dictated by the organisational cluster’s strategy;
- Conduct laboratory scale, pilot scale and field testing of biological product prototypes or other developed technologies such as setup and implementation, collecting samples, and analyses of samples;
- Report findings and conclude research in technical reports, standard operating procedures and technology packages;
- Publish research findings in recognised scientific journals;
- Provide input to proposals, networking and lobbying with appropriate persons or institutions to generate appropriate funds to pursue the strategic research objectives of the CSIR;
- Engage with research programs, institutions and researchers to identify and grow opportunities to expand research endeavours and strengthen science.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- An Honours degree in microbiology, biotechnology, bioprocessing or related fields with at least one year of experience in bioprocessing or bio-manufacturing;
- A Master’s degree would be advantageous;
- Experience in bench and pilot scale fermentation processes;
- Experience in operational contribution (laboratory responsibilities, SHEQ etc.);
- Willingness to work shift work as and when required within the Biomanufacturing team;
- Evidence of conceptualization of experiments, execution, analyses of data and outcomes, specific to the field of Bioprocessing and/or bio-manufacturing;
- Track record of scientific publications in accredited journals or books;
- Track record in research i.e. project, technical and operational contributions;
- Adaptability to change, ability to multi-task and to consistently perform under pressure;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work closely with others in a research group
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- All international qualifications require an evaluation report/certificate issued by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Closing date: 14 March 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment03@csir.co.za. Please do not send your application to this mailbox, it is only for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal-opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (about positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.