Digitization Manager at Wits Libraries in Johannesburg ZA
Job Title DIGITISATION MANAGER.3.04
Location Johannesburg, ZA
Organization Name Wits Libraries
The Wits Digitisation Centre is a technical department in the Wits Library, which carries out digitisation services for the University and the wider heritage sector. The physical space is divided between a wide range of diverse scanning equipment and a post-production setup. The Centre is managed through specified workflows, which are guided by standard based best practice in the field of digitisation.
The University is in the process of re-conceptualizing libraries to suit its needs in the 21st century. We are seeking to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced person for the position of Digitisation Manager to ensure that the Wits Digitisation Centre supports the Digital Library and Digital Archives initiatives as well as the research, teaching, learning, scholarly communication, and preservation needs of the University community and beyond; as well as develop and implement the digitisation strategy and manage the Digitisation Centre and related processes.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
· Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science or subject related Bachelor Degree plus PostGraduate LIS qualification or Archives and Records Management and 5 years supervisory and project management skills
· Honours/ MLIS or Master’s degree with specialisation in Archives or Museums studies and 3 years supervisory, project management and preservation of digital resources, website and database applications.
· – Ability to think strategically and tactically and excellent interpersonal skills
· – Track record of project delivery to time and to budget
· – Ability to work well with the academic community at a senior level
· – Financial and budgetary management skills
· – Good technical knowledge and experience of information systems, internet-based resources and digital technology
· – Knowledge of standards i.e. Dublin Core
· – Knowledge of international trends in digitization technology and standards
· – Knowledge of the legal and copyright considerations in relation to digital outcomes
The person in this post reports to the Associate Director
- Management of the Digitisation Centre facilities
- Ensures the standards based management and preservation of digital items through Archivematica
- Assesses digital storage allocation for potential risk exposure
- Assesses preparation of collections for digitization
- Provides first line management, supervision and development of department staff in line with Library and University policies and procedures
- Administers digital library and archives physical planning projects together with the Library
- Facilitates external digitisation funding
- Ensures uniformity in the application of digital preservation standards
- Integrates digital projects with other resources on campus
- Enables outreach, promotion and public relations by promoting the Digitisation Centre, the Library and the University through hosting of visitors and professional activities
- Advances collaboration between institutional, national and international digital and archival initiatives
It is highly recommended that interested candidates be registered members of the professional body: Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA)
HOW TO APPLY
Register your profile at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submit your application. Please ensure that you include a covering letter, detailed CV with names, addresses, contact numbers and e-mail addresses of 3 contactable referees
By submitting an application for this post the Applicant acknowledges that their personal information will be processed by the University. The Applicant, by their conduct in proceeding with an application for this position, gives their consent to the processing of their personal information as required by the University’s Recruitment, Selection and Appointment Policy. Such processing includes logging their information on the University’s recruitment systems and disclosing their personal information to University employees identified to take part in the selection and recruitment process. The Applicant consents to any further processing of their personal information as may be required for relevant verification and reference check purposes. The confidentiality of the Applicant’s personal information will be maintained.
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University. The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates.
Please note that correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.