State Veterinarian Vacancy: Animal Health At The Department of Agriculture – Western Cape Government
Closing Date; 2023/03/13
Reference Number; WCG230206-2
Tracking Number; AGR 07/2023
Job Title; State Veterinarian: Animal Health (1 post in Stellenbosch and 1 post in Beaufort West), Ref No. AGR 07/2023
Salary level; 11
Enquiries; Dr G Msiza at (021) 808 5001/2 / 084 604 6705
Job Type; Permanent
Location – Country; South Africa
Location – Province; Western Cape
Location – Town / City; Stellenbosch and Beaufort West’
The Department of Agriculture, Western Cape Government has opportunities for two (2) suitably qualified and competent individuals to provide Veterinary Services through the implementation of relevant legislation and to mitigate the risks associated with animal diseases and zoonotic diseases that impact the following fields: Disease control, Import and Export Policy & Control; Epidemiology, Quarantine, Veterinary Public Health Animal Welfare, Animal Health, Clinical Services, Stock remedies and Animal Feeds. These posts are stationed in Stellenbosch and Beaufort West.
- An appropriate Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc/BVMCh or equivalent qualification) recognised by the South African Veterinary Council;
- Compulsory registration as a Veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC);
- A minimum of 1-year post qualification experience; A valid (Code B or higher) driving licence.
NB: People with disabilities that restrict driving abilities, but who have reasonable access to transport, may also apply.
Experience in animal disease control.
Key Performance Areas
Provide Veterinary Services through the implementation of relevant legislation and mitigate the risks associated with animal diseases that impact the following fields:
- Animal DiseasControlol
- Import and Export Policy Control
- Veterinary Public Health
- Animal Welfare; Perform Epidemiology investigations.
Knowledge of the following:
- The interdependence of industries within the agricultural sector
- Provincial legislative processes
- Human resource and developmental management
- Financial management
- Relevant legislation and policies
- Strategic management
- Policy-making procedures
- Operation of the agricultural sector.
- Communication (written and verbal)
- Planning and organisation
- Strategic insight and planning
- Policy formulating
- Change management
- Diversity management
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, MS Outlook).
All-inclusive salary package of R 766 584 per annum (Salary level 11)
Cost-to-employer (CTE) remuneration packages for certain occupation-specific dispensations (OSD), the middle-management service (MMS) and contract positions are inclusive of all costs related to service benefits or obligations including basic salary, 13th cheque, medical assistance, housing assistance, pension-fund contributions, etc. MMS remuneration packages are flexible and may be individually structured as prescribed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit copies of their documentation for verification purposes. These candidates will be required to attend interviews on a date and time as determined by the department and may also be required to undergo competency assessments/proficiency. The selection process will be guided by the EE targets of the employing department.
Should you experience difficulties with your online application, kindly note that technical support (challenges with online application) is only available from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 16.00. You may contact the helpline at 0861 370 214. Otherwise, for all other queries relating to the position, kindly contact the enquiries person as indicated in the advert.