Chief Information Officer (CIO) Vacancy At The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
(Five -Year Contract)
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Chief Information Officer who will lead the development of the Information Technology (IT) strategy with overall ownership for the development and delivery of IT services to meet business needs. This position is on a five-year contract that is renewable based on performance and is based in Pretoria.
- Translate business strategy into technology strategy.
- Develop and maintain the IT strategy.
- Lead and manage the IT functions.
- Take ownership of all IT services and maintenance of existing IT systems.
- Manage the IT-business relationship.
- Represent technology in business discussions and ensure necessary technology capabilities needed by business are developed.
- Drive smarter technology investments in the organization.
- Create a culture of performance and value in technology services.
- Shape the IT organization in terms of structure, roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure effective management of risks and compliance.
- Develop and manage the ICT Strategy and Security department budget.
- Ensure cost effective service delivery.
- Comply with financial legislative requirements
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, information technology or industry application with at least fifteen years’ of management experience, of which, seven years is in service development or operations and five years is in business interfacing role.
- A Master’s degree in business management would be advantageous.
- Strong proven knowledge of core IT (Infrastructure, Applications), business processes and technology supplier community.
- Ability to translate business vision into IT vision, objectives, and programs.
- Proven leadership and management skills.
- Proven experience in managing digital transformations and implementing digital enablement strategies.
- Knowledge of and competence in the provision of ICT Strategy services including:
- Knowledge of components of a holistic Enterprise Architecture
- Ability to translate business needs into Enterprise Architecture requirements
- Knowledge of international information security standards
- Technical knowledge of the agile software development lifecycle, data management related ICT infrastructures and standards in the data sciences related disciplines
- Ability to contrast the design options’ benefits and provide a recommendation
- Creativity and innovation with the ability to lead a team in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to balance the long-term and short-term implications of individual decisions.
- Ability to remain neutral towards technology, vendor, and product choices, as well as to be more interested in results than in personal preferences.
- Solid experience, knowledge of project portfolio management, associated methodologies, and application thereof.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement processes, process control and enhancement.
- Financial management, budgeting, and reporting.
- People management and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and presentation skills.
Must be in possession of a Security clearance certificate or be prepared to undergo clearance
Closing date: 15 January 2023
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment02@csir.co.za. Please do-not send your application to this mailbox, it is only for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances), and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.