District TB Technical Lead
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Contract
Location: uMgungundlovu, KwaZulu-Natal Province
THINK is a non-profit organisation dedicated to improving the lives of those affected by TB and HIV. As a health delivery and research organisation, THINK engages with the local community, government consortia, and international funders to provide care for over 100,000 people in KwaZulu-Natal and carry out cutting-edge clinical research that has already contributed to changing treatment guidelines internationally and locally.
THINK is looking for a qualified District TB Technical Lead to support the implementation of the THINK USAID TB LON project in KwaZulu-Natal. The aim of the project is to safeguard advances of TB treatment by strengthening the TB health care platform in the district. The District TB Technical Lead will be based in uMgungundlovu District, KwaZulu-Natal Province and report to the THINK TB Lead.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- District technical leadership and managerial oversight in the technical implementation of project strategy in alignment with the Project’s key objectives and expected outcomes.
- Provide technical support to District programmes, focusing on quality of TB services and expansion of private sector engagement,
- Improving TB and drug-resistance TB case detection through the FAST approach and other strategies, linkage to care and treatment support,
- Support the decentralisation of drug-resistant TB treatment, piloting of gender-responsive interventions, and interpreting and use of strategic information to strengthen the TB programme at District level.
- Ensure that District Programmes are implemented in accordance with WHO and international best practices.
- Provide technical advice for clinical management of adverse events, including SAE’s.
- Foster relationships with district and provincial DOH, including clinical staff and medical practitioners
- Collaborate with the TB Technical Lead and local partners to provide technical guidance to Implementing teams
- Establish, implement and monitor interventions to achieve effective and efficient mechanisms to implement TB programme and related services.
- Regular reports to TB Technical Lead on the progress of programmes and services
- Mentor and teach other staff in TB Programme management and medical knowledge
- Mentor and support members of co-treating facilities in TB Programme principles
- Facilitate training to ensure all staff have updated medical knowledge
- Participate in the recruitment and training of programme staff
- Participate or represent the project in conferences.
- Support, train and mentor programme staff based at SAFT-supported facilities throughout the district
- Capacity building through attending appropriate training programmes
- Ensure THINK vision, mission and values are reflected in all job outcomes
- Comply with all THINK rules and regulations and policies and procedures
- Be passionate about making a difference and add value to THINK
- Medical Doctor (MBChB or equivalent), registered with the HPCSA
- Minimum of 2-year professional experience in TB/DR-TB program implementation;
- Previous experience in various areas of TB programming, including active case finding, new drugs/therapies, clinical patient support, TB preventative therapies
- Experience in working within DOH structures
- Strong communication, interpersonal and presenting skills
- Self-motivated and independent worker who shows initiative
- Good report writing skills
- Clear criminal record
- Valid Driver’s License
- Diploma in HIV management
- Previous experience in DR-TB management
- Prior experience with USAID or other donor-funded projects
- Other Health-related courses (advantageous)
- Training experience and/or qualification
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment soonest. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you have not been contacted within four weeks of the closing date. THINK reserves the right in special circumstances to accept late applications or to extend the above date in order to facilitate further searches. Furthermore, THINK reserves the right not to make an appointment. Internal applicants will get preference for shortlisting. THINK is unable to provide relocation assistance.
Leave a Reply