Electronic and Software Engineer Vacancy At The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for an Electronic and Software Engineer in the Technology for Special Operations (TSO) research group/impact area within the Defence and Security Cluster. The incumbent will be required to provide electronic engineering inputs, support and outputs for the design and validation process leading to the manufacturing of components, assemblies, and sub-systems to be used in a maritime and military environment. This position is based in Stellenbosch.
For more information about the Impact Area and Cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/technology-special-operations and https://www.csir.co.za/defence-and-security respectively.
- Design, model and test electronic engineering components with Computer Aided Design (CAD);
- Design, write, debug and test software and firmware;
- Provide concept and system designs to the required availability and acceptable cost of ownership;
- Design and integrate equipment, electronic systems, and installations;
- Complete data pack segments for configuration;
- Setup and program embedded microcontroller and peripherals (GPIO, UART, CAN, I2C);
- Collaborate and communicate with other engineers, including proactive documentation of work and contribution to review and development processes;
- Analyse and capture user requirement in suitable documents;
- Conduct investigations, feasibility studies and functional designs for engineering change proposals (ECP’s);
- Conduct and perform acceptance trials for South African National Defence Force (SANDF) systems and sub-systems;
- Perform and assist with quality assurance on work completed for SANDF systems and sub-systems;
- Plan allocated tasks and delegate appropriately;
- Provide inputs to test and evaluation specifications;
- Report on test and evaluation results.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in electronic engineering (or similar).
- A Master’s degree will be advantageous;
- The following knowledge and experience will be advantageous:
- Radio Frequency (RF) knowledge and experience will be an advantage.
- Experience with STM microcontrollers will be an advantage.
- Experience with Qt framework development in C++ will be an advantage.
- Experience with Git software version control will be an advantage.
- Experience with inertial navigation and maritime sensors will be an advantage.
- DSP knowledge and experience will be an advantage.
- Digital hardware design;
- Ability to read and interpret specifications, schematic diagrams and device data sheets.
- Must have applied electronic engineering skills in design and construction;
- Must have CAD background to provide concept and system designs to the required availability and acceptable cost of ownership;
- Must be competent in basic electronic lab tasks such as soldering, wire stripping, crimping, assembly;
- Must be proficient in an object-oriented programming language;
- Ability to analyse user requirement statements and translate into engineering requirements;
- Ability to apply his/her engineering knowledge at a graduate level to engineering problems to provide engineering solutions;
- Ability to work as part of interdisciplinary team;
- Ability to use of lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators and power supplies effectively;
- Have broad understanding of other engineering disciplines for integrated design/engineering solutions
- Technical report writing skills.
- Ability to provide customer training and interaction.
- Must have the following skills:
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design and layout.
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) design.
- Control systems design.
- Hardware design skills.
- Embedded software design and development in C.
- Must be able to register as a Candidate Engineer with ECSA.
- Must be a South African Citizen (dual citizenship not allowed).
- Must be able to attain and retain a South African Security Clearance in accordance with the work being conducted.
- May be required to travel to client locations and potentially do fieldwork on structures (e.g. scaffolding) and maritime equipment (e.g. high speed boats).
Closing date: 14 December 2022
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment03@csir.co.za. Please do-not send your application to this mailbox, it is only for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the employment Equity Act and will through the filling of this vacancy, give preference to candidates from designated groups in terms of the Employment Equity Act. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from registered credit bureau and/or South African Police Services (in relation to positions that requires trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualification and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.