Principal Technical Officer Vacancy in the Department of Zoology and Entomology At Rhodes University
Recognising that diversity is important in achieving excellence, Rhodes University strongly encourages South African members of underrepresented designated groups as well as persons with disabilities to apply. Spouses and partners of existing staff members are also encouraged to apply.
A relevant Diploma (NQF level 6)/Degree (an NQF level 7 qualification would be preferable and an advantage) plus approximately 3 years’ relevant experience where such experience includes: –
- At least 1 year’s supervision experience.
- Previous experience in a workshop where welding, fitting and turning were part of the key responsibilities.
- Previous experience and or proven ability in technical design will be an advantage.
- Previous experience and/or proven ability in vehicle maintenance.
- Previous experience and/or proven ability in electronics will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in health and safety will be an advantage.
- Previous experience in health and safety will be advantage.
- Previous experience in woodwork.
- Must be in possession of a valid code 08 driver’s license for at least a minimum of two years.
Please note that this appointment will be made in line with the requirements of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998, as amended and the University’s recruitment and selection policies and equity strategies. The initial focus will be on equity candidates.
In terms of Immigration Legislation (Act No. 13 of 2002 & Regulations) as amended, international staff members (non-SA citizens) have to comply with the provisions of the Act. This therefore means that the period of employment to non-SA citizens will be guided by the validity period of the work permit. In line with legislation governing employment of foreign nationals, employment contracts will be offered on the basis that a development plan would be implemented for the transfer of skills to a South African resident. The onus is on candidates to ensure that they are in possession of a valid work permit before the commencement of employment at the University, failing which the employment with Rhodes University will be terminated.
The following documents are required:
- An application form (no handwritten applications will be accepted);
- A comprehensive CV and relevant qualifications;
- A substantial motivation which tells us your interest in the post and suitability in light of the requirements.
It is essential that prospective candidates read the job profile relating to this post and ensure that all relevant documentation is submitted. Failure to submit such documentation will result in an application not being considered. Please examine the following documents:
The Full Minimum Requirements against which candidates are to be measured are outlined in the job profile.
Basic Salary (annual) : R406,500.00
Total Cost to Company (annual) : R546,454.00All applications will be treated in strict confidence. This post is advertised as permanent post, but the University may opt to appoint on a fixed-term contract of not less than three-years. The University reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application in itself does not entitle the applicant to an interview. Please apply online by accessing the Rhodes University Website.
Candidates should note that Rhodes University has introduced a Covid-19 vaccine mandate and that staff members are required to conform to the University’s conditions in this regard.
Closing Date: 06 March 2023
If you are not contacted within 30 days from the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Leave a Reply