Data Ecosystems Lead: Alternative Data in ShopriteX Company at Brackenfell – Cape Town
We set the digital agenda to keep ShopriteX leading in an uncertain and fast-moving environment. We drive the development, provision and operation of our digital products and services using new and existing technology and agile delivery methods to deliver at pace. At the same time, we provide a home for digital skills to both develop and extend the technical, people and business skills needed to ensure continuous development and growth of our digital capability.
The purpose of the Data Ecosystems Lead: Alternative Data role is to grow Shoprite’s inventory of leverageable data assets through the establishment of data ecosystems as a new value stream for the Group, with a specific focus on alternative data assets. The role will support delivery of the data ecosystem strategy through the enablement of an enhanced customer understanding and development of innovative and tailored data products to unlock new revenue streams through a business-to-business monetisation strategy and securing of new strategic data partnerships. The role will work closely with internal business stakeholders and establish partnerships with external affiliates and vendors to harvest Shoprite’s rich internal data combined with an ecosystem of alternative data sources with the aim of identifying opportunities and synergies that drives deeper customer insights, enables personalised customer solutions and grows income from insights monetisation services.
- Drive the creation and marketing of economic insights products.
- Explore partnership opportunities with other companies to build holistic alternative data solutions.
- Drive marketing and engagement with local and global financial institutions including corporate and institutional investors and other funds.
- Drive data visualisation and data storytelling initiatives for data ecosystem products across all initiatives (not limited to alternative data insights).
- Work with broader Shoprite teams to build monetizable data ecosystems products.
- Support data ecosystems strategy development, formulation and execution.
- Support the Head of Strategic Partnerships with strategy development, formulation and execution.
- Provide guidance for harmonizing data across multiple business units and platforms and serve as technical leader and expert in data ecosystem mapping.
- Conduct data ecosystem needs assessments to influence design and development of products.
- Leverage AI and robust science-based techniques to manage data, predict scenarios, prescribe actions, and deliver deep insights.
- Work with internal business stakeholders and external affiliates to identify new types of market fit data products, potential markets and revenue streams that can be unlocked.
- Work with external affiliates and agree on viable data exchanges and identify, test and onboard potential datasets, ensuring legal agreements on privacy laws are preserved at all times.
- Work with legal and compliance teams to lay the legal and governance foundation for external partnerships.
- Work alongside the product management team to build the overall product roadmap for data ecosystems and apply the roadmap to inform the creation and prioritisation of the backlog.
- Orchestrate all activities related to the roadmap, focusing on solving the right problems and developing the right solutions following agile methodology.
- Track and report on progress against sprint goals.
Qualifications and experience
- Degree or Diploma in Commerce, Sciences, Information Technology, or a related field – (essential).
- +6 years’ progressive and diverse experience in alternative data product development along with proven sales, data visualization and financial experience – (essential).
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying scalable and commercially viable enterprise data products and solutions across the AI spectrum – (essential).
- Deep understanding of data ecosystems, data flows, varying types of data (first- and second-party data) and customer profiling – (essential).
- Understanding of legal compliance as it relates to personal data and privacy laws – (essential).
- Experience in an agile environment – (desired).
- Experience in a retail environment and/or working with retailer specific data – (desired).
Key competencies and work ethic
- Strategic and conceptual thinker – Combines advanced analytics with strategy and technology to enable long-term decisions and roadmaps. Exercises mature judgment while dealing comfortably with unstructured data. Thinks creatively around a brief.
- Analytical, data-driven, and highly numerate – Strong ability to collect, organise and assimilate disparate and multiple pieces of data to guide decision-making and develop optimal solutions.
- Deep knowledge, sense of wonder and passion for data and its range of possibilities, applications and value for the business. Able come up to speed quickly on our applications, technologies, and processes.
- Commercial and financial acumen – Understands commercial and financial principles and its application within business. Knows how business operates, what the key processes, issues and risks are that drives success; and how they impact on commercial viability and profitability.
- Collaborative partner – Builds relationships both internally and externally. Open, honest and direct, comfortable giving and receiving feedback. Thinks and act independently as well as collaboratively.
- Change agent – Energized by working both independently and interdependently within the digital network and across functions; is open to change and motivated to work agile.
- Operational efficiency – Manages multiple demands by working smartly, efficiently and effectively. Stays on top of the detail while effectively prioritising and delivering on urgent and important tasks.
- Innovative and solution-orientated – Thinks outside the box to come up with creative solutions while applying sound judgment to generate short- and long-term value. Use technical expertise to question, understand and challenge solutions and software implementation decisions / priorities.
- Communication skills – Communicates effectively while being able to convert complex concepts and analytical findings into well-articulated verbal, written and visual messages to non-technical and business audiences.