Junior Data Scientist Vacancy
Location: Johannesburg, ZA
- REQ: 122375 – Refilwe Falatsi
- Closing Date: 11 November 2022
- Division: Nedbank Insurance
- Functional Area: Corporate Actuarial
- Employment Equity Statement: Preference will be given to individuals from underrepresented groups.
Manage Self Technical
To design, prototype, and build next-generation analytic engines and services by applying strong expertise in matching learning , data mining and information retrieval .
- Develop statistical models and algorithms through the use of libraries and abstractions
- Conducts explority data analysis
- Create value out of enterprise wide data
- Provide insights to BI and BA to further exploit and present their models.
- Apply advanced analytical techniques such as machine learning and artificial intelligence in order to derive business value.
- Conduct data discovery for inclusion in models.
- Keep abreast with latest tools and techniques.
- Focus on specific date point within the data process life cycle.
- Access and clean data and validate data quality.
- Identify additional data sources.
- Collaborates with model developers to implement and deploy scalable solutions.
- Implement and maintain complex models and algorithms that drive innovation throughout the organization.
- Ensure improvement of on-time performance and network planning,
- Conduct self development through researching best practices, conducting experiments, and collaborating with industry leaders.
- Work with large data sets, simulation/ optimization and distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, Arena, etc.)
- Monitor and maintain models in production and re -train if necessary.
- Support the achievement of the business strategy, objectives and values.
- Stay abreast of developments in field of expertise.
- Ensure personal growth and enable effectiveness in performance of roles and responsibilities.
- Contribute to the Nedbank Culture building initiatives (e.g. staff surveys etc.).
- Participate and support corporate responsibility initiatives for the achievement of business strategy.
- Seek opportunities to improve business processes, models and systems though agile thinking.
Essential Qualifications – NQF Level
- Matric / Grade 12 / National Senior Certificate
- Advanced Diplomas/National 1st Degrees
Degree Computer Science, Econometrics , Mathematical Statistics.
Minimum Experience Level
- Degree in computer science, statistics, or operations research or related technical discipline.
- 3 years’ experience in a statistical and/or data science role
- Cursory knowledge of machine learning, statistics, optimization or related field
- Experience with R, Python, Matlab is required, programming in C, C++, Java
- Experience working with large data sets, simulation/ optimization and distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, Arena, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong desire to work in cross functional teams
- Attitude to thrive in a fun, agile start-up like environment.
Technical / Professional Knowledge
- Data Mining
- Data Tools
- Data Warehousing
- Planning and Organizing
- Continuous Improvement
- Leveraging Feedback
- Applied Learning
Leave a Reply