Junior Researcher – Enzymology Vacancy in Bellville Campus – Cape Town
Job Title; Junior Researcher – Enzymology (Contract until 31 December 2024)
Faculty; Support / Admin Department
Department; Cape Peninsula University of Technology -> DVC: RTIP -> Research Directorate
Campus/ Location; Bellville Campus – Bellville, Cape Town, WC ZA (Primary)
Job Type ; Contract
Occupational Function; Academic
Number of Positions ; 1
Annual Salary Package (incl. Medical Aid rate based on principal member only); To be confirmed
Advert Closing Date; 27/11/2022
Job Purpose; Contribution towards the development/expansion of research in the field of enzyme discovery and biocatalysis.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- MSc in Biochemistry, Biotechnology (Microbial), Molecular Biology, or related field
• One years’ experience working in laboratory with recombinant enzyme expression systems, enzyme discovery, biocatalysis, and/or protein bioinformatics required
• Record showing publication of research papers would be desirable
• Record of presentations at local conferences would be desirable
Key Performance Areas / Principal Accountabilities
- Research: contribute towards the current research niche areas at the AMHBI and development of new research ideas/projects (specifically Enzyme discovery and Biocatalysis). This would also include the planning, initiation and conduct of research.
• Teaching: participation in the training of other researchers, support staff, postdoctoral fellows, and postgraduate students in field of expertise.
• Data management: contribute towards the data management practices currently in place at AMHBI.
• Research collaboration and internationalisation: contribute towards the development and growth of internal (AMHBI and CPUT) as well as external collaboration (national and/or international) in research and research output generation
• Administration (research team support): assist with project report writing and development of new funding proposals
- Ability to conduct high-level scientific research in an experimental laboratory within a university environment
• Technical skills to operate scientific equipment used in the specified research field
• Ability to be adaptable and pro-active in the work environment and willingness to work in a team
• Management of complex tasks and the handling, processing, and curation of research data (data management)
• Good scientific literacy, computer literacy, as well as written and verbal communication skills
• Good laboratory practice
• Passionate about research and an interest in driving and/or contributing towards research at AMHBI that would speak to the institute’s objectives
Closing date: 27 November 2022
For enquires and assistance with your on-line application, please email Mr Jabu Makhambi, (Human Capital Department) at email@example.com
NB: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT ALLOW APPLICANTS TO UPLOAD CVs. IT IS THUS IMPORTANT THAT APPLICANTS COMPLETE ALL SECTIONS COMPREHENSIVELY AS FAILURE TO DO SO MIGHT DISADVANTAGE YOU. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION AS THIS WILL BE THE ONLY CRITERIA USED FOR EVALUATION OF YOUR APPLICATION BY OUR PANEL.
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve our equity objectives and therefore, people from the designated groups, including those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants whose appointment contributes towards the achievement of demographic representation. We reserve the right not to make an appointment.