Access UP Postgraduate Tuition Fees per faculty- University of Pretoria (UP), University of Pretoria UP Fees – University of Pretoria UP Fee Structure, UP Online application fee, tuition fees, registration fee, fees payment and accommodation fees.
Please use the current year (term) for quotations. The new fee structure for next year may only be available towards mid-December of this year.
- Payment dates 2021:The 50% (half of the account) due date on 30 April has been extended until 30 June 2021. The deadline for payments due on 31 July (full payment of the account) has also been extended by 2 months to 30 September 2021.
- The 30 April payment date for the 2,5% discount will remain.
UP Postgraduate Tuition Fees per faculty- University of Pretoria (UP)
ALL POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS
- Fees for the next study year are normally available as from December. Quotations will be available (before the new fees are known) with the current year’s fees. Please see the information at the bottom of this page or the Quotation icon.
- The Fees paid by bursaries icon has information for students studying with a bursary.
- There is no distinction in tuition fees between part-time and full-time studies.
The initial fee is a minimum fee payable in order to register. After registration it is reversed and the true cost for the year is charged. The initial fee is not an additional amount, not the true cost for the year, but only an up-front payment (deposit) payable at registration. It is payable every year of registration, before registration is possible.
RESEARCH MASTERS and DOCTORATES
- Registrations for research Masters and Doctorates will be levied an annual tuition fee, subject to a possible annual increase and will be payable for each year of registration.
HONOURS and MASTERS BY COURSEWORK
- Registrations for Honours and Masters by coursework degrees will be levied as per the tables per faculty, provided that the student completes the degree in the prescribed period.
- NOT COMPLETED DEGREE WITHIN PRESCRIBED PERIOD
- Should masters by research or doctoral degree not be completed in the prescribed period, the new annual fee structure applicable at that point in time will be applicable for any subsequent years of re-registration that are allowed.
Where a final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 15 February, the faculty should liaise with the finance department to have the fees adjusted. Any student who did not submit the final copy of the thesis/dissertation/mini-dissertation by 15 February will have to register again.
If the final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 31 March, a student will have to re-register and an administration fee (determined on an annual basis) will be levied.
If the final hard copy of the thesis in the case of doctoral studies; a dissertation in the case of Masters by Research studies and a mini-dissertation in the case of Masters by Coursework studies is not submitted to the Student Administration Office of the respective faculty by 31 March a student will have to re-register and tuition fees will be levied accordingly.
Should a one-year master’s degree not be completed in one year, the annual fee applicable for that master’s degree will be charged annually from the second year onwards.
INTERRUPTION/LEAVE OF ABSENCE DURING STUDIES
No interruption may occur in a postgraduate student’s registration for a postgraduate study programme. The student has to register every year even if they require a leave of absence for that year. Students who are in exceptional cases granted a period of leave of absence, are liable for re-registration fees for the year for which leave of absence was granted. On their return, new annual tuition fee structure for the year at that point in time will be applicable.
- Once a student has registered his/her personal and own specific student account details, as well as information on possible rebates, can be found on the UP Student Portal (“Student Centre”).
- If you are a first-time user of the UP Student Portal, go to http://www.up.ac.za/portal; click on “New User” and enter your student number as username. Type in your ID/passport number and click on “Proceed”.
- Average fees for the various programmes in the faculties are set out in the tables on the following pages and are based on the average cost of the study programmes.
- Note that the fees for some study programmes may differ from those specified in the table on the following pages.
- Fees do not include the cost of prescribed books, stationery, research costs or other study-related expenses.
- University fees are payable in advance, however, it is permissible to pay your fees in three instalments, viz.:
- The initial fee or re-registration fee is payable prior to registration.
- Half (50%) of the student’s full account is payable before or on 30 April
- The full (100%) amount of the student’s account is payable before or on 31 July.
- The Summary of fees and Statement of Account icons contain handy information.
- On discontinuation of studies, all outstanding fees become due immediately. See the Discontinuation icon for discontinuation dates and how to discontinue.
- If a degree is completed mid-year, AND the student registers for a new degree in the same year, the FULL tuition fees are immediately payable on registration. Fees are fully payable by end of July of any study year, irrespective of when in the year the student registered for the programme.
- Tuition fees are levied for the study programme as a whole or per individual subject course. The latter applies to coursework-based study programmes.
- Tuition fees for subject course/modules taken in addition to the standard study programme are levied in addition to the tuition fees.
- In the following tables “p.s.” indicates the tuition fees that are levied per individual subject/module/course. An estimate of the total fee for the study programme provided on the following pages.
UP Postgraduate Tuition Fees per faculty- University of Pretoria (UP) Estimated tuition fees per year (SA and SADC country citizens)
- Note: The estimated average fees below are for 2021.