RU Courses and requirements 2022: Each course and programme at the Rhodes University RU has varying Admission Entry Requirements which must be met in order to gain entry at RU – On this page, you will learn more about the RU Courses and entry requirements, Admission and Application requirements for the Rhodes University RU in the current academic year.
Rhodes University RU Entry Requirements – Application requirements
The Rhodes University RU Admission requirements varies depending on the type of course that you’re applying for, the academic level, and your nationality. This is mainly because universities are allowed to set their entry requirements based on their own preferences or internal policies. They set the entry requirements for each course to ensure you have the right skills and knowledge to successfully complete the course.
The Rhodes University RU admission requirements are made to assess your suitability for the course you’re applying for. In Fact, the application process highly depends on matching with entry requirements and therefore you must pay extra attention to this section.
Rhodes University RU courses and requirements
Although this page will provide you with useful information to familiarize yourself with what is needed to gain entry into Rhodes University RU courses, It’s important you understand the qualifications needed for the course you wish to pursue.
For detailed information on the RU specific courses and programme entry requirements please:
- Download RU courses and entry requirements pdf here
- Download and view RU courses and entry requirements for international applicants
- RU Admission Requirements
Below are the admission entry requirements for various programs at the Rhodes University
Rhodes University RU General Application requirements
Your application will only be considered for admission to the University if you qualify for Bachelor’s degree study AND you satisfy the faculty requirements. To qualify for with a Bachelor’s pass status, learners are required to take seven subjects, four of which are compulsory (two languages, Life Orientation and either Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy) and three of the learner’s own choice from the subjects on offer at the school.
- To qualify for degree studies at Rhodes University, learners must pass:
- English language at an achievement rating of 4 (50 – 59%) or above.
- At least four of the seven subjects must be from the list of recommended subject list set out below and sutdents must have obtained an achievement rating of 4 (50 – 59%) or above.
- Meet Faculty requirements: subject requirements and percentage required.
PLEASE NOTE: Obtaining the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance!
Recommended subject list:
- Accounting, Agricultural Science, Business Studies, Consumer Studies, Dramatic Arts, Engineering Graphics & Design, Economics, Geography, History, Information Technology, Languanges, Life Sciences, Mathematics / Mathematical Literacy, Music, Physical Science, Religion Studies, Visual Arts.
- The minimum entry requirements for admission to Rhodes University for the current academic year are set out in this table. Note (a) the point levels that are required (b) the differences in the achievement levels that are needed for Mathematical Literacy, (c) the need for Life and/or Physical Sciences for degrees in Science or Pharmacy.
HOW TO CALCULATE YOUR ADMISSION POINT SCORE (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admissions score using the percentage obtained for each subject. The sum of six subject scores, excluding Life Orientation but including English and any other required subject(s) for the relevant programme is considered when deciding on admission. Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score. Mathematics Paper 3 does not contribute to the APS score but the results will be captured for the Dean to note when making an admission decision.
RU Minimum entry requirements for Higher Certificate
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution as certified by the Council for General and Further Education and Training (Umalusi).
Institutional and programme needs may require appropriate combinations of recognized NSC subjects and levels of achievement. For example, an institution may determine that a Higher Certificate in Architectural Design requires in addition to the NSC a specified level of attainment in Design and an associated recognized subject.’
RU Minimum entry requirements for Diploma
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution as certified by Umalusi, coupled with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognized NSC 20-credit subjects. institutional and programme needs may require appropriate combinations of recognized National Senior Certificate subjects and levels of achievement. For example, a Diploma in Data metrics might require a pass at a prescribed level in Mathematics or Information Technology.
RU Minimum entry requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
The minimum admission requirement is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with a minimum of 30% in the language of learning and teaching of the higher education institution as certified by Umalusi, coupled with an achievement rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in four subjects chosen from the following recognized 20-credit NSC subject